Wednesday, 13 November 2013

An ode to Georgia

Every once in a while a dress comes along that makes you feel so amazing that your confidence rockets as soon as you slip it on. The Georgia dress from By Hand London is that dress for me. I feel like a goddess in this thing and I don't want to take it off. Ever.
Stuart was astounded by how positive I was about it, normally I point out all the things that went wrong with whatever I make, but when I tried this on I was beeming and agreeing with him when he told me I looked awesome!

I have a kind of unwritten rule about not going into my overdraft for sewing things but when the girls announced their new pattern that rule was completely disregarded. It's the first pattern I've seen that has screamed 'I'm perfect for you, make me in every colour of the rainbow!' So I had to have it right now.

As for the details, I didn't have to drastically change anything really, I just reduced the hem circumference a bit, lengthened the skirt a couple of inches and made the cups a bit bigger. Wasn't really sure how to go about doing it properly so I'm hoping that will be in the sewalong next year.

My second is nearly finished and after that I have promised Faith I'd make her something, but I want to try the faux collar version too.

Check out the pattern matching on the back, I'm so impreessed with how I managed to get the green running staight down the middle.

I was also mentioned in the latest email from By Hand London too! Couldn't have been more excited if Ian Brown had popped round for a chat!

 

17 comments:

  1. You certainly are a knockout in this dress! Make more! Lots more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margo. I think I'm going to have to ration myself - I've already got a mental list of three or four others I need to make (after Faith's stuff of course)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I want to make one now... and I love the plaid - great job :)

    -Amy (www.thatssewamy.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should, it would look fab on you, and its so easy to put together too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this dress looks amazing on you! I'm so tempted to make one now but I don't know whether my boobs are big enough to carry it off

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rachael. I can't recommend this dress enough, and I think smaller boobs would make it easier to carry off - mine aren't exactly huge but I felt like I needed to raise the top a little bit so they weren't so in your face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had the pattern for a few days and have been waiting for someone to post their make. Can't wait to make mine now! Yours is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, I've been dying to see what everyone else is doing with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Your dress look fantastic! I've been searching for a version of this dress since it was announced because I was so curious/excited! It's decided - I'm going to have to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, can't wait to see what you do with it. Thanks for the compliment

      Delete
  10. Sally this is soooo hot! Am making my christmas party one at the moment (little straps, mini skirt and a hem ruffle for Latina vibez) and seeing your is making me extra anxious to bloody get it finished already! Thanks for the super kind write up x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Charlotte, I'm already working on my third! Sounds like yours is going to be awesome (obviously!). Looking forward to seeing that - ruffle hem sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress looks great on you. Really nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness gracious this dress is HOT!! I am going to take part in the sewalong and I had some floral cotton sateen (main colour was black) - you have inspired me to use plain black as well for the side panels. OMG I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've been holding off on doing more of them until the sewalong so I can get the bodice sorted so I can't wait for it to get started

      Delete
  14. Would you mind me sharing this on SSB in the future? I credit, link to your post and let you know when featured.
    https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete