Saturday, 8 February 2014

Vogue Divine Details

Nearly 7 years ago, my mum bought me a sewing machine for my birthday. I had never sewn before (except a dodgy felt koala cushion in home ec) but was fed up of not being able to find clothes that fitted properly, or that were exactly what I wanted. Rather than easing myself in gently with a tote bag or a-line skirt I went straight for a suit - skirt, jacket, trousers and waistcoat! Obviously it wasn't amazing but I was so proud of myself. That's what set me off with my love of sewing, and I don't think I would have loved it so much if I had started off simple - I like a challenge and I like fitted clothing.

I no longer have three of the pieces (nor do I have any photos of them, something I still regret), but I do have (and wear) the skirt. I often wonder why I've never made another one and when I couldn't face sorting out all the fitting issues for the skirt I had originally planned to make for Blue February, I dug out this pattern.

Rather than doing the centre zip insertion that the pattern gives, I used Sunni's lapped zip tutorial from her Craftsy class and was really impressed with the results - I've been hearing about how you should interface where you are putting your zip but had never done it before, will be doing from now on though.

Now I just have to hope Spring hurries up so I can start wearing it. Is anyone else obsessing over summery makes despite the cold, or is it just me?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment