Sunday, 9 March 2014

Speedy sewing

I've barely sewn at all for the last month and the bits I have sewn have gone unfinished and unloved, but when I found out it was World Book Day on Thursday (and that nursery weren't doing anything for it) I decided Faith needed a new dress and that it needed to be in Mathilda fabric and Mum asked if I'd make her something in it too. It was all a bit last minute but it turned out alright.  You'll have to excuse the photos - my camera charger has gone walkies!


The dress pattern didn't arrive in time and rather than just making anything with the fabric I decided to hold off and make her a quick skirt from a panel of some The Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric that has been sitting in the cupboard for three years, topped off with a yoga waistband. She was very proud of her new skirt and when I picked her up from nursery, the ladies said she had been telling everyone that mummy made it - a big turn around from when she would refuse to wear anything I made her, let alone tell people about it!


Mum also got a jacket, made the night before in 5 hours. It was this Burda jacket minus the pockets (I wasn't about to faff about with them on such a tight deadline!) and, thankfully, waspretty straightforward. The only thing I struggled with was setting in the sleeves and I'm not sure whether that was because of the pattern or because it was 1 o'clock in the morning and I really needed my bed! I'm not happy with them, but they did the job. I got an email from her during the day saying how much everyone liked it, so it was worth the lack of sleep.

The pattern for Faith's dress arrived on Friday but it will have to wait because I think a bit of selfish sewing is long overdue!

6 comments:

  1. That skirt's so cute - I'm not surprised she was proud of it! And your mum's jacket looks great too. I'm in the middle of making a jacket at the moment and it's taking me ages so I'm impressed that you got it done in one evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I did most of it on the overlocker to speed things up and it was by no means tailored!

      Delete
  2. Yay for doing something for World Book Day! Books, kids and sewing - great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm a big book lover and she's going that way too, so I had to do something

      Delete
  3. Love Faith's skirt, so cute!! I need to start making L some skirts…S x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! http://pellymellypatterns.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete