Sunday, 13 April 2014

Feeling flirty in Flora

Those By Hand London girls are miracle workers - this is the very first full skirt I've made or bought that Stuart likes - he even agreed I needed more of them!  Plus, they got me out of my sewing funk!


To be honest, I wasn't that fussed about the Flora when it was released (I don't tend to wear full skirts) but the more versions of it I saw, the more it grew on me and when the girls posted a tutorial on how to change the straps to rouleau straps, I had a brainwave and took the plunge. Rather than just changing the straps, I chopped off the back bodice under the arm and added rouleau straps in a criss cross pattern (I need to add a couple of tacks to keep them neat).


I was a bit concerned once I'd cut the fabric out because I had forgotten to add any length to the front skirt (a few people have said it is very short) but I'm glad I forgot - it is shorter than I would normally have my skirts, but I love it.

The obligatory spin

The fabric is some African wax print style cotton I got in Abakhan when I went to Wales last summer. I had been saving it for a maxi dress but when I got it out a few weeks ago I realised that the pattern was for stretch fabrics only which was a blessing in disguise because I think it suits the Flora much better.


This is actually my second Flora but the first didn't turn out so great so I wanted to save that until I'd done one I had fallen in love with. Will post the first next week.

15 comments:

  1. The back detail is just great - works so well with the geometric shapes of the print :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those straps! That fabric! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah! i ADORE those rouleau straps! (whatever google, i'm halfway into a french gimlet and i'm so not spellchecking that).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to change those straps, sheer genius. Not sure why you thought full skirts were for you, you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think its mostly down to my boyfriend - he's not a fan of full skirts so whenever I show him one I get a "it would look nice if it was more fitted". Plus, I can feel where a straight skirt is round my legs, with a full one I get paranoid I'm flashing everyone!

      Delete
  5. Wow this dress is gorgeous! I love the rouleau straps - that was such a brilliant idea! And your fabric is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So stunning! I'm with you on the full skirts, you've tempted me tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my mind's going into overdrive with all the full skirted possibilities now!

      Delete
  7. This is glorious! I'm planning something similar, but I've been sewing mine slowly (and impatiently) with the sewalong & wasn't quite sure how to do the back... I really, really love how yours has turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally, this dress is perfect! I love the back and the full skirt. So lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I really love the fabric, and the straps look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really awesome- love the straps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! I love your straps, and the fabric is perfect for this dress! The length looks pretty perfect on you too.

    ReplyDelete