Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Raincoats and pledges

I've been meaning to make a coat for Faith for a while now but never quite got around to it. I picked up some fabric for her a while ago and with the weather getting nicer (lasted all of a week!) I felt bad that the only options she had were a too warm winter coat or a not warm enough hoody so I dug the fabric out and two nights later had this done:

I found the pattern on one of my increasingly regular trawls of sewing patterns on etsy. The fabric print is busy so I wanted a simple coat with a hood and this 5berries pattern fit the bill perfectly. I made a size 6 so she had a bit of room to layer up and it fits really well. I decided against the cuffs but think I could have done with making the sleeves a bit longer - they sit perfectly at her wrists now but she grows so quickly.

I've made a few coats with ripstop fabric or similar before and they have a tendency to stick to the foot and wrinkle when sewing the seams, with this in mind I dug out the walking foot I bought before Christmas and immediately threw in the bottom of my sewing box because I fell out with quilting. I was going to put it on ebay but I am so glad I didn't get round to it - it was a godsend. There was no wrinkling, no sticking, and no swearing!

I am by no means an expert on this, but I had a bit of a conversation on twitter about waterproofing the seams so this is what I do:

  • Use a small, sharp needle
  • Set the machine to a longer stitch length
  • Hold fabric together with paperclips instead of pins
  • Use a walking foot (or teflon feet are meant to be good too - I do actually have one but haven't used it yet)
  • I know you can get seam sealant but in the five waterproof coats I have made now I've never used it - it intimidates me a bit (hot irons on nylon? Eek!) and it looks like a bit too much of a faff. I'm not sure whether this is an actual thing or whether it's just in my head, but I always try and do flat felled seams or at least turn the seam to the side and topstitch rather than having seams pressed open just because I think it probably offers a bit more protection.

Finally, Me Made May starts on Thursday and this year I'm upping my game. Last year got me wearing more of my me mades more often and after a big purge at the start of this year the majority of my wardrobe is now me made but I'm still no good at making basics or buying fabric that is going to go with the rest of my things. With this in mind, here is what I am pledging this year:

"I, Sally of Sally bee makes..., sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '14. I endeavour to wear only me made clothing (with the exception of underwear) each day for the duration of May 2014 but will allow myself the use of one ready to wear clothing item once per week. I will also finish one WIP each week."

It's going to be tough, but I'm looking forward to it.

 

10 comments:

  1. Lovely raincoat and a happy customer! Good luck with your challenge - look forward to reading how you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've been putting all my rtw away today, now I'm scared!

      Delete
  2. Ah hh! I love this so much, all I want to do now is sew for little girls. One day I'll know some and return to this post. Lovely little make Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this fabric and adorable hoodie! The "model" certainly demonstrates the functionality of her coatn the " action shots"! Just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she gets her posing from her dad!

      Delete
  4. I love this coat, and my daughter would too! I bought some ripstop with the intention of making a coat but chickened out and made some bags instead! Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is pretty intimidating but if you've made bags with it already then you know how it is to work with, I think that's the biggest hurdle. Go for it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sally! I found your blog through the MMM flickr pool. Good luck with your challenge! It's my first year participating and it has been fun reading about other pledges and experiences with wearing me-made clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I think I need all the luck I can get, 4 days in and its already getting tricky! Good luck with your first year, I love your Kimono tunic!

      Delete