Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Adventures in corset making

The past couple of months have not been good for me sewing-wise. I lost count of the number of patterns I got out to make, only for them to go straight back in the drawer. I started a dress, which turned into a skirt, which went in the bin along with a pair of trousers. I wandered around the fabric shop for inspiration and left completely underwhelmed. Three times.

Then things started looking up when Stuart bought me a corset kit from Sew Curvy! I chose the Silverado corset and got some extra fabric so I could use the stuff that came with the kit as a trial run. I made a quick muslin to make sure there was nothing drastically wrong with the fit then dived into my first go. I thought it was a good idea to do it this way since I have never made anything like it before and by doing the first one properly at best I would come away with a decent enough corset and at worst I'd have an idea of what to do differently fit- and sewing-wise next time.

This was a project I have been waiting years to do so I wanted to make sure I took my time and did it right. I have a tendency when I start sewing to wqant to get it done, which leads to rushing and cutting corners (I'm really impatient) so I decided to to one bit a day and only when Faith was at school so I could focus. It worked really well, although I was dying to get 'just a little bit' done each night. I resisted though and it turned out surpringly well.

The Sew Curvy busk tutorial got me through the busk insertion and I made a cover for it as suggested, partly for wear and partly so I could have a go at putting one in before doing the real thing. The stitching is a bit wonky on one side and it overlaps a bit but I'm pretty impressed with it. I was paranoid about breaking a needle by hitting the busk so I hand cranked the needle all the way round.

I tried using a tailors awl to make the holes for the eyelets but ended up punching the holes out because I couldn't get the eyelets through the holes made with the awl - I had poorly fingers to prove how hard I tried!

Everything else was pretty straight forward, I just took it in half an inch at each side seam before sewing the lining and coutil togetherr, although for the next I think I'll re-trace the smaller size and use the bigger gores - I have enough of the coutil that came with the kit to make another trial run. These will be the most expensive muslins I will have made but it's going to be worth it! If anyone knows anything about corset making and fit, any advice is very welcome.

I feel a bit silly making relatively expensive (compared to what I normally make) garments knowing that they will rarely, if ever, get worn, but I think that is partly why I've enjoyed making it so much. There are clothes that have been on my mind for longer than I car to admit (corsets being one of them) that I haven't made because fabric is an expensive thing to waste of somethi that I know isn't really my style or the I don't need - one of e unfortunate side effects of becoming more financially responsible!

But making this corset was quite freeing - who says I have to make things with a purpose? I'm going to make sure I do more 'for the hell of it' sewing from now on, I think this was the push I needed to start.

 

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Wowsers! This is amazing! I'm all for "for the hell of it" sewing. Who cares if an item doesn't end up having a purpose. Sometime the item's purpose is just to be made, so the sewist can have fun, and learn new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is so true - I learned more from this one corset than I have done in a long time

      Delete
  2. Fabulous, well done! I always find it such a struggle to slow down and take my time, but it's definitely worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you could need a little bit more room over the hips, but otherwise the fit looks great! Go you for just making things, even if they seem silly at first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll make sure I add a bit more room for the next one

      Delete
  4. Like you, I don't like to rush things through. Consider this, the money you spent making this was in exchange for valuable lessons in sewing that will last lifetime. 😊

    ReplyDelete